Yesterday was grocery shopping day! I thought you lovely foodies may be interested in what we brought home – the cashier sure was! She asked if we were vegan/vegetarian because of the sheer amount of produce she had to ring up… We took the opportunity to share a little about our way of eating (“diet”) with her, as well as letting her know how nice it was to have overcome so many chronic illnesses and health problems. She sounded like she may pick up some extra fruits & veggies in the near future!
As you can see, it was quite the haul. Some of these things will need to be replenished next week (greens, bananas, avocados, most fruit, etc. Some will last the month or longer.
All grocery shopping I do feeds two people. My partner eats a lot of the same things as me (LOTS of smoothies, fruit & veggie plates, and salads a few times a week), along with liberal amounts of cooked vegetarian food, with small amounts of meat once in a while (we don’t buy meat ourselves in general). Sometimes we get some cooked vegan treats to share as well; I’m not strictly 100% raw at this point though I do try to keep the cooked, processed foods to a minimum and fairly healthy at least.
- 2 boxes fresh strawberries: $4.00
- 2 bags frozen fruit for smoothies: $7.96
- 1 bag Cara Cara oranges: $3.98
- 1 bag Fuji apples: $2.94
- 1 (2.19) lb bag red seedless grapes $5.35
- 3 zucchini: $2.18
- 3 jalapenos: $.48
- 1 big bag mixed baby sweet peppers: $4.99
- 1 bunch tomatoes: $1.43
- 4 limes: $1.00
- 7 avocados: $4.76
- 1 bunch organic bananas: $2.44
- 1 pineapple: $3.79
- 1 bottle Bolthouse Farms 1915 cold-pressed juice: $1.79
Total cost of fruits: $47.09
Vegetables & Greens:
- 5 lb bag carrots:$2.89
- 1 bunch organic celery: $1.87
- 1 organic leek: $1.64
- 1 bag onions: $2.49
- Bag of crimini (baby bella) mushrooms: $1.81
- Big horseradish root: $3.23
- 2 bulbs garlic: $.88
- 1 head purple (red) cabbage: $2.17
- 1 bunch organic radishes: $.69
- 1 bunch organic purple kale: $1.99
- 1 bunch organic spinach: $1.99
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce: $1.89
- 1 bunch chard: $1.99
- 1 bunch parsley: $.79
- 1 bunch Italian parsley: $1.19
Total cost of Vegetables & Greens: $27.51
Bulk Bin/Dry Goods:
- 2.34 lb raw sunflower seeds: $5.80
- 2.56 oz cacao nibs: $2.34
- 1.28 oz ground ginger: $.93
- .48 oz dill weed: $.42
- Coconut sugar: $4.98
- Spike salt-free seasoning: $2.79
Total Cost of Bulk/Dry Goods: $17.26
- 10 Larabars(Cherry Pie and Coconut Cream Pie): $10
- Wildwood Organic sprouted tofu: $4.19
- 1 tiny loaf vegan garlic clove bread: $2.29
- 1 small brick Lisanatti Almond-based Jalapeno Jack cheese: $3.29
Total Cost of Non-Raw Extras: $19.77
The Lisanatti cheese is almond-based but not completely vegan, as it has some casein (which is a milk protein). I didn’t realize this until we got home because my partner is the one who picked it out and he’s still learning how to read ingredients labels for vegan-ness. It’s not his fault, I know I’m lactose intolerant and have been quietly putting up with it and eating regular cheese with him for most of the 5 years we’ve been together in order to make it easier to have meals together until he was ready to adopt a healthier diet.
Total Costs For This Grocery Trip:
- Raw food: $91.86
- Raw + Non-Raw: $111.63
Again, some of these things will last the month or longer and do not need to be repurchased. We try to buy greens weekly, as well as supplementing that with wild edibles in our backyard. A lot of these purchases also supplement items we already have in our pantry: the two small (and pricey!) bags of frozen fruit are supplements to the larger bags of frozen fruit we already have at home; I don’t buy EVERY spice I use on a monthly basis (thank the universe for bulk bins), I still had a supply of my usual teas at home so I didn’t pick any up on this trip, etc.
I will continue posting my grocery hauls in an effort to more easily keep track of what we buy and how frequently, as well as share with you lovely readers how we shop healthy on an extreme budget.
I’ll also be reviewing certain products from my purchases soon, so let me know if there’s anything in particular you’d like us to try out!
Have a wonderful day!